Have you ever thought about the products you use on your skin every day? Did you know our skin absorbs 60% of any topical product we use? Over the years I have tried a handful of eco friendly/healthful beauty products, searching for my favorites.
Ingredients to AVOID in products:
Toluene: A petroleum based product found in nail polish and cosmetics. It is a neurotoxin that can affect the central nervous system.
Parabens: Synthetic preservatives that are used in cosmetics, many personal care products, and most lotions. These can contribute to endocrine (hormone) disruption.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: An industrial chemical designed to clean and create foam. It is a detergent is typically found in shampoo, liquid soap, and toothpaste. Produces carcinogenic by-product that suppresses the immune system.
Synthetic fragrances: these usually contain phthalates which are linked to endocrine (hormone) disruption.
Aluminum: Found mostly in deodorant. Endocrine disrupting compound.
1. 365 Shampoo: $5, This shampoo is a great value! It lathers well unlike most eco-friendly shampoos. My one complaint is the lack of scent choices.
2. MyChelle Fruit Enzyme scrub $15, No nasty ingredients. They are also on PETA’s list of certified cruelty-free companies
3. 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Mascara in Black Tea $21, Ingredients such as green tea, blackcurrant extract, seaweed, and cocoa powder give this mascara a delicious fruity smell. If you like a more natural look, this is great for your every day mascara. The silver tube is pretty enough to adorn your counter.
4. Kiss My Face Ginger Mango Lip Balm: $3.50, Kiss My Face makes an array of products including delicious lip balms. Yet another cruelty-free company without carcinogenic ingredients.
5. Priti NYC Nail Polish $15, I discovered this polish at http://sagespaandsalon.com when I got a manicure. I fell in love with this line but I have yet to buy a bottle! Their nail polish is vegan, completely non-toxic, and free of toluene , dibutyl phthalate, formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, and camphor- all known carcinogenic ingredients. Not to mention the colors are fabulous!
6. Nature’s Gate Body Wash: $10, I love Nature’s Gate brand for their variety of amazing scents such as aloe, hemp, papaya, acai, and more.
7. Meyer’s Hand Soap: $4, If you haven’t tried Meyer’s, you’re missing out! Their hand soaps smell incredible! It’s expensive for hand soap, but it is a nice treat every so often. My favorite scents are Radish and Lemon Verbena.
8. 100% Pure Cocoa Pigmented Bronzer $28, 100% Pure is truly a natural and cruelty free makeup line, but it doesn’t look like the earthy “hippy” makeup you find at health food stores. The pigment comes from cocoa, coffee, tomato, and berries. This is definitely a new favorite!
9. Pacifica Roller Ball Perfume (Tuscan Blood Orange) $12, This is my favorite perfume, ever! Their perfumes are formulated without phalates, parabens, sulfates, propylene glycol, benzene, mineral oil, petroleum, and triclosan. They also make lotions, make up, and nail polish but I have only tried their perfume.
Man Pick! Duffy’s Original Craft Beer Shampoo: $15, I got this for my fiancé for his stocking last Christmas and he loves it. I found it on Amazon. It has a very subtle beer scent. You won’t smell like you just walked out of a bar after using it.!
Do you have favorite personal care/beauty products?